Parsnip And Rosemary Tarte Tatin
The savoury tarte tatin showcases golden parsnips on an oniony base with flavours of rosemary, balsamic and honey (or maple syrup).
This is a perfect make-ahead recipe and can be eaten hot or cold.
- No red onions? Use shallots or onions instead.
- No rosemary? Try with thyme.
- No parsnips? Swap for turnips or carrots.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
3 Red onions
1 tbsp Rosemary (chopped)
1 ready rolled puff pastry / Vegan puff pastry
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Runny honey / Maple syrup
3 tbsp Unsalted butter / Vegan butter
1 tbsp Egg yolk / Plant based milk
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4. Cut the parsnips right down the middle lengthwise, then add them to a medium-sized ovenproof frying pan, along with the butter.
- Cover the pan with a lid (or use a baking tray), and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side, until caramelised and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive in another pan, and add the red onions and rosemary. Cook over medium heat until tender, then add the balsamic vinegar, honey (or maple syrup) and 2 tbsp of water. Stir, then cook for 2-3 minutes, until sweet, a little sticky and deep in colour. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Top the parsnips with the red onions.
- Lay the puff pastry over the top, tucking it into the edges. Brush with the egg yolk (or plant-based milk).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crisp on top.
- Serve the tarte tatin upside down, hot out of the oven or cold. Enjoy!
How to store
Store in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Serve the leftover tarte tatin with crumbled feta/vegan feta and a side of salad.
Need Some More Puff Pastry Ideas?
Give these a go!
Tomato Tarte Tatin
An upside down tart showcasing caramelised tomatoes on crunchy puff pastry. A savoury twist on a classic French dessert.
Mediterranean Puff Pastry Twists
Quick and easy crispy pastry twists with a hint of tomato, basil and garlic from our Oddbox Mediterranean Paste.
Butternut Squash And Kohlrabi Puff Pastry Rolls
Festive little puff pastry rolls stuffed with roasted butternut squash and kohlrabi filling and topped with sesame seeds. These are great starters or canapés to serve when you have friends and family over.