Grapefruit Zest Gingerbread Cookies
Festive little gingerbread cookies, perfect to do with the kids and a fun way to use the grapefruit zest which are often discarded.
- No grapefruit? Use orange or clementines.
- No light brown sugar? Try with coconut sugar or any dark sugar.
- No butter/vegan butter? Use cold coconut oil instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 27 minutes
1 Grapefruit (zest)
150 g Plain flour
50 g Light brown sugar
1 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Allspice
70 g Cold butter / Vegan butter
1 tsp Vanilla paste
For the royal icing:
1 Egg white
1 tsp Grapefruit (juice)
- In a mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add the butter and use your hands to mix it all together, it should look like a dry crumble.
- Add the egg, grapefruit zest and vanilla. Mix with your hands again. Make sure everything is well combined and the butter melted, but don't over mix as it will get too sticky.
- Make a ball, cling film and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take your dough out of the freezer and cut it in 4. Roll out the dough flatter and cut using your favourite cookie cutters. Place onto the lined tray, leaving some space between each cookie. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
- Decorate with royal icing or make your own by combining egg white, grapefruit juice and icing sugar.
How to store
Store in an airtight container for up to 7-10 days.
The gingerbread men are a great addition to any festive afternoon tea spread. They will also make fun festive cake decorations.