Grapefruit Zest Gingerbread Cookies
Festive little gingerbread cookies, perfect to make with the kids and a fun way to use the grapefruit zest, which so often end up in the compost.
- No grapefruit? Swap for orange or clementines.
- No light brown sugar? Try with coconut sugar or any dark sugar.
- No butter/vegan butter? Use cold coconut oil instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 27 minutes
1 Grapefruit (zest)
150 g Plain flour
50 g Light brown sugar
1 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Allspice
70 g Cold butter / Vegan butter
1 tsp Vanilla paste
For the royal icing:
1 Egg white
1 tsp Grapefruit (juice)
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the butter and use your hands to mix it all together. It should look like a dry crumble.
- Add the egg, grapefruit zest and vanilla. Mix with your hands again. Make sure everything is well combined and the butter melted. Be careful not to over-mix as it will get too sticky.
- Make a ball with the dough, then wrap it up and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take your dough out of the freezer and cut it into 4 piece. Roll out each piece, then cut it using your favourite cookie cutters. Place onto the lined tray, leaving some space between each cookie. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
- Decorate with royal icing or make your own by mixing egg white (or aquafaba), grapefruit juice and icing sugar.
How to store
Store in an airtight container for up to 7-10 days.
These gingerbread men are a great addition to any Christmas afternoon tea spread. They also make fun festive cake decorations.
Fancy Some More Christmas Recipes?
We've got a whole sleigh-full!
Aubergine Nut Roast with Onion Gravy
This delicious vegan nut roast recipe is packed with aubergine, nuts and herbs. It makes a showstopper main served with a simple onion gravy.
Maple Roasted Carrots, Brussels Sprouts & Date Salad
This festive salad showcases lots of colours that will look fabulous on the table, plus it's a creative way to use up those leftover Brussels sprouts!
Persimmon Mulled Apple Cider
Use persimmons with spices and apple cider (or alcohol-free cider) to create the perfect festive drink.