Persimmon Mulled Apple Cider
Use persimmons with spices and apple cider (or alcohol-free cider) to create the perfect festive drink.
- No apple cider? Use red wine instead. You can also use alcohol-free apple cider.
- No persimmons? Swap for oranges, clementines or satsumas.
- No mixed spices? Try with allspice instead.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
1 litre Apple cider (or alcohol free apple cider)
1 tsp Vanilla paste
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 star anise
1 tsp Ground nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
1 Bay leaf
90 g Caster sugar
- Thinly slice the persimmons and measure out all your ingredients.
- Add the persimmons, sugar and spices to a large saucepan. Pour in about 250 ml apple cider.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil until you've got a lovely thick syrup (this should take about 4-5 minutes). You don't want to do this with all the cider, as it'll burn the alcohol off.
- Once the mixture has turned syrupy, turn the heat down and add the rest of the cider. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve in heatproof glasses or mugs.
- Drink the warm mulled apple cider and snack on the persimmon slices.
How to store
Let the persimmon mulled apple cider cool completely, then pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently rewarm in a saucepan over low heat and serve.
The persimmon mulled apple cider is great in festive cocktail recipes too. Use it cold as a cocktail base.
Searching For More Festive Dessert Ideas?
You're in for a treat!
Spiced Crumble Stuffed Apples
The perfect comforting dessert for a winter's day, this apple crumble is made directly in the apples and deliciously spiced with mixed spices and ground ginger.
Grapefruit Zest Gingerbread Cookies
Festive little gingerbread cookies, perfect to make with the kids and a fun way to use the grapefruit zest, which so often end up in the compost.
Rhubarb Crumble & White Chocolate Custard
A timeless pudding to make the most of the seasonal rhubarb in Spring. The tangy fruit is balanced with the oaty crumble topping and chocolaty custard.