Vietnamese-Style Grilled Tofu Vegan Sandwich
Baguette stuffed with golden grilled tofu, sour fermented mooli radish and spicy vegan mayo.
- No mooli radish? Use carrots, parsnips or cabbage instead.
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
For the fermented mooli radish:
400 g Mooli radish
1½ tsp Sea salt
1 tsp Caster sugar
For the grilled tofu:
190 g Firm tofu
3 tsp Cornflour
2 Garlic cloves (chopped )
2 tbsp Soy sauce
a pinch of Chilli flakes
3 tbsp Vegetable oil
For the sandwich:
2 Vietnamese-style baguettes, or standard baguettes
3 tbsp Vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp Spicy sauce (any)
6 slice Cucumber
1 Carrot (thinly sliced )
- Get your fermenting ingredients ready. You'll also need a clean 500ml glass jar, a gauze and fermenting weight.
- Cut the mooli radish into julienne (long, thin strips) using a chef's knife, julienne peeler, or mandolin.
- Place the mooli radish in a large mixing bowl with the salt and sugar.
- Massage everything with your hands for a few minutes, until water starts to come out of the mooli radish.
- Transfer the mooli and liquid to a 500ml jar, pushing it all down with your hand or the end of a clean rolling pin.
- The watery liquid that comes out of the mooli should cover it all.
- Put the gauze and fermentation weight on top of the mooli to stop it rising to the top of the jar.
- Screw on the lid – just be careful not to close it too tightly, as you'll need to let some pressure escape as the mooli ferments. Leave to ferment at room temperature for 1 week, or more.
- Cut the tofu into thin slices, place in a clean tea towel and press gently to remove extra moisture. Toss the tofu slices in cornflour and pan fry in hot vegetable oil, until crisp on both sides. Add the chopped garlic, chilli flakes and soy sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn off the heat and set aside.
- Mix together the vegan mayonnaise and spicy sauce. Cut the baguettes open, leaving them attached on one side. Spread with mayonnaise and add the grilled tofu.
- Add sliced cucumber, carrot, coriander leaves and top with fermented mooli radish.
How to store
Leave the mooli radish to ferment at room temperature for 1 week or more. Remove the inner weight and compost any mooli radish that floats to the surface, if there are any. The fermented mooli radish should now be crunchy, slightly sweet and tangy. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a year.
Enjoy any leftover fermented mooli radish in bagel, stir fry, sandwich or salad recipes.
Looking For More Sandwich Recipes?
We've got plenty!
Pumpkin Hummus Grilled Cheese
Turn your pumpkin into a creamy hummus and make a grilled cheese sandwich packed with autumnal flavours. The pumpkin hummus can be made in advance and the grilled cheese cooked in minutes when you're hungry and ready to eat.
Leftover Brussels Sprouts Toastie
This cheese (or vegan cheese) melt-in-the-mouth Brussels sprouts toastie sandwich is a satisfying lunch that also helps minimise food waste. The mayonnaise and melted cheese filling makes it extra rich and creamy for a perfect, leftover fridge-raid lunch.
Lettuce Grilled Cheese
Try this quick grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with melting cheese and juicy lettuce.