Winter Roasted Beetroot & Pumpkin Salad
This roasted pumpkin and beetroot salad is made with lentils, crumbled feta (or vegan feta), pumpkin seeds, leafy greens and a simple citrus dressing.
It's a delicious, hearty salad that's tasty warm or cold. The citrus dressing is so good, you'll want to make a big batch to keep in the fridge to add to other salads in the week.
- No pumpkin? Swap for carrots, squash or parsnips.
- No oranges? Use clementines, mandarins or satsumas instead.
- No lemon? Use red wine vinegar.
- No kale? Try with other leafy greens, like spinach or cabbage instead. You won't need to massage the dressing into spinach.
- No lentils? Choose from chickpeas, cannellini beans or quinoa.
- No roasted pumpkin seeds? Top your salad with any nuts or seeds you like.
- Vegan? Use vegan feta.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
120 g Kale leaves / Cabbage
2 tbsp Olive oil
60 g Feta (crumbled)
1 can lentils (drained)
For the dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Orange zest
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Orange juice
Salt & pepper (to taste )
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/170c fan/gas mark 5. Roughly chop the kale, and set aside. Peel and cut the pumpkin into long, 2cm thick slices (make sure you keep the pumpkin seeds). Peel and cut the beetroot into 1cm thick cubes, composting the skin.
- Place the pumpkin on one side of a baking dish, and the beetroot cubes on the other. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and fork-tender.
- In the meantime, put the reserved pumpkin seeds in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a clean tea towel.
- When the veg is nearly cooked, take the baking dish out of the oven. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over the top, and put the baking dish back in the oven. Cook for 5-10 minutes more, or until the seeds are lightly golden.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients together and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the kale and use clean hands to massage the dressing into the kale. This will make the kale nice and tender.
- Put the kale salad and drained lentils on a serving dish, then top with the roasted veg and pumpkin seeds. Crumble the feta on top, then drizzle with any leftover dressing. Enjoy!
How to store
Salad: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Citrus dressing: Make a bigger batch of the dressing and store in an up-cycled glass jar in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Fancy Some More Beetroot Recipes?
You'll love these!
These beautifully pink crepes can be served with whatever you have on hand such as pesto, hummus, salads, stews, curries, eggs, fresh herbs etc.. Made using a few simple ingredients these savoury crepes make the perfect addition to just about any menu…breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner!
Vegan Aubergine & Beetroot “Meatballs”
This family-friendly recipe is great for both kids and parents – and it's a quick one. It's delicious served with a simple tomato sauce and pasta, or the side of your choice, such as rice or mashed potatoes.
Try this golden focaccia bread with roasted beetroot wedges, sea salt, beetroot leaves, rosemary and basil.