Miso Aubergine Sausage Rolls
These vegetarian sausage rolls combine a mixture of roasted aubergine, cannellini beans, caramelised shallot, and miso paste.
Make these ahead of time and enjoy them either hot or cold. Great for lunch boxes or paired with a salad for a nice homemade lunch at home. They are also vegan adaptable and freezer-friendly.
- No shallot? Use red onion instead.
- No eggs? Use plant-based milk instead.
- No oregano? Try with fried thyme instead.
- No cannellini beans? Use butter beans or chickpeas instead.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
1 tsp Oregano
1 tbsp Miso paste
½ can cannellini beans (drained )
1 ready rolled puff pastry
1 tbsp Milk of choice
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 c fan/4 gas mark. Cut the aubergine into small chunks. Peel and cut the shallot into four pieces. Place onto a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- Place the aubergine, cannellini beans, shallot and miso paste into a food processor. Blend until you have a chunky puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the mixture to a piping bag, set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg and milk together - this is your egg wash. Roll out the puff pastry, then pipe out 3 lines of the aubergine mixture. You could also just spoon the mixture onto the pastry.
- Fold over lengthways and press together with a fork to seal.
- Cut into 5-6 cm pieces and place on baking sheets lined with baking paper.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 35 minutes, or until puffed up and golden. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
How to store
Store in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. To freeze, arrange them in a single layer on a tray small enough to fit into the freezer. Pop into the freezer. Remove when frozen and transfer to a freezer-friendly container and place back into the freezer for up to 2 months.
Need More Aubergine Recipes?
Check out these delicious inspirations!
Mediterranean Aubergine & White Beans
This express aubergine and white beans recipe can be made in 30 minutes. Feel free to swap the veg with whatever you have in your box every week, and use any white beans of your choice.
One Pan Aubergine & Butter Bean Ragu Pasta
This is a simple, no-fuss, nutritious and tasty one pan ragu recipe, that's great for an easy midweek meal.
Zero-Waste Chickpea Stuffed Aubergines
This super easy aubergine recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner all year round. Give it a go!