Zero-Waste Whole Orange & Almond Cake
“This gluten and dairy-free cake is a genius way of using whole oranges and was introduced to the world by the wonderful cookery writer, Claudia Roden.”
- guest ODDBOX chef Georgia @georgia_levy_
Prep time: 90 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 150 minutes
2 large Oranges (approx 375-400g, scrubbed)
1 tbsp Olive oil
50 g Demerara sugar
250 g Caster sugar
250 g Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
Icing sugar (to dust )
- Pierce the oranges a few times, then place in a pan, cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 60-80 minutes until the oranges are completely soft. Top up the water as needed. Alternatively, cover in water and place in the microwave and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the water, allow to cool slightly, then cut in half and remove as many seeds as you can find. Place in a food processor or blender and blitz to a fine puree. While the oranges are cooking, grease a 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin with oil and sprinkle with the demerara so it’s evenly coated, bottom and sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Using a hand-held whisk or stand mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes, then whisk in the remaining ingredients, including the orange puree and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Pour into the prepared tin, smooth the top, then place in the oven for 60-70 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.