Zero-Waste Whole Orange & Almond Cake
“This gluten and dairy-free cake is a genius way of using whole oranges and was introduced to the world by the wonderful cookery writer, Claudia Roden.”
- guest ODDBOX chef Georgia @georgia_levy_
Prep time: 90 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 150 minutes
2 large Oranges (approx 375-400g, scrubbed)
1 tbsp Olive oil
50 g Demerara sugar
250 g Caster sugar
250 g Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
Icing sugar (to dust )
- Pierce the oranges a few times with a fork or knife, then place in a pan, cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 60-80 minutes until the oranges are completely soft (you might need to top up the water a bit). Top tip: You can speed this up by adding the oranges to a microwave-safe bowl and microwaving for 10 minutes.
- While the oranges are cooking, grease a 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin with oil and sprinkle with the demerara so it’s evenly coated, bottom and sides.
- Take the oranges out of the water, allow to cool slightly, then cut in half and remove as many seeds as you can. Add to a food processor or blender and blitz to a fine puree. W
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until fluffy (it should take about 2 minutes), then whisk in the remaining ingredients, including the orange puree and half teaspoon of salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smooth top, then place in the oven for 60-70 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly, then turn out of the tin. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar to serve. Enjoy!