Zero-waste Squash Mac & Cheese
Make the most of your squash with this creamy mac and cheese with crispy seeds topping.
- No squash? Follow the same steps with sweet potatoes.
- No rosemary? Try another dried herb! Oregano, and thyme are good options.
- No paprika? Use chilli powder, or chilli flakes instead.
- No vegan butter? You can make the roux with olive oil instead.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
1 Butternut squash
300 g Macaroni
200 ml Milk of choice
4 tbsp Parmesan (grated) / Vegan cheese
3 Garlic cloves (chopped)
3 sprig Rosemary (chopped)
½ tsp Paprika
40 g Unsalted butter / Vegan butter
20 g Plain flour
50 g Panko breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper
- Roast the squash: Preheat your oven to 200°C/180 fan/6 gas mark. Chop the squash into small pieces with the skin, and place them into a baking tray. Make sure to keep the seeds aside for the next step. Drizzle the squash with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and mix to coat. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender and lightly caramelised.
- Prepare the squash seeds breadcrumb topping: Place the seeds in a sieve and rinse under cold water to get rid of the flesh. Do not discard the flesh, instead add it to the tray in the oven. Place the seeds in a saucepan, cover with a little water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the seeds, pat dry and place in a bowl, along with the breadcrumbs. Add a little drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt. Mix well to coat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta: Meanwhile cook the macaroni in boiling salted water, until al dente. Reserve some of the pasta cooking water. Drain and add a drizzle of olive oil to the pasta to prevent them from sticking.
- Make a roux: Into a large pan, add the vegan butter, chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, and paprika. Mix well, then once the herb begins to crisp, add the flour. Mix it in to create a roux, then set aside.
- Make the mac & cheese sauce: Once roasted, add ¾ of the squash to a blender, along with the plant based milk. Blend until smooth. Pour the squash mixture into the pan with the roux, and mix well to create a thick sauce. If too thick (that will depend on the size of your squash), add some of the reserved pasta water. Add the remaining ¼ roasted squash to the sauce, and the grated vegan cheese. Season to taste.
- Build and cook the mac & cheese: Add the cooked macaroni to the pan and mix well to combine. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture all over the top, and place back in the oven on grill mode for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 3-4 days. Reheat your mac & cheese in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
You can turn the leftovers into a big salad. Squash mac & cheese goes very well with rocket. Simply mix your rocket and cool mac & cheese together.