Zero-waste Cauliflower Cheese
This cauliflower cheese uses both the cauliflower florets, stalk and leaves. It is comfort food at its best, simple to make and relatively quick too.
- No dijon mustard? Use English mustard instead.
- Vegan? Use plant based dairy cheese and milk.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
50 g Unsalted butter
50 g Plain flour
500 ml Milk of choice
200 g Cheddar (grated )
1 tsp Dijon mustard
a pinch of Ground nutmeg
Salt & pepper
- Prepare the cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 200C/180c fan/6 gas mark. Break the cauliflower into large florets, cut the stalk into small chunks and roughly chop the leaves. Boil the cauliflower florets and stalk for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain and Pack the florets, stalk and leaves into a snug fitting oven proof pan or dish.
- Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and whisk until a paste forms. Cook for a minute then gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until you have a thick sauce. Turn off the heat and stir in 150 g of grated cheddar, nutmeg and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the cauliflower cheese: Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with the extra grated cheddar and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden on top.
How to store
Store in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Add the leftover cauliflower cheese into a food processor with a splash of water and blend until smooth to make the most comforting and warming pasta sauce.