Whole Roasted Harissa Cauliflower
Whole cauliflower smothered in a spicy oil and baked until tender. A simple vegetarian main and an impressive alternative to your traditional sunday roast.
- No cauliflower? Try with cabbage or broccoli.
- No harissa pesto? Use any hot sauce instead.
- No maple syrup? Swap for honey or golden syrup instead.
- No cumin? Use curry powder.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
3 tbsp Rose harissa pesto
40 ml Olive oil
2 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tbsp Ground cumin
1 tbsp Ground turmeric
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4. Rinse the head of cauliflower and peel away any green leaves (making sure you keep them for later).
- Mix the harissa pesto, olive oil, maple syrup, ground cumin and turmeric in a bowl, then season with a pinch of both salt and pepper.
- Put the cauliflower head in a baking dish and pour the harissa mixture over the top, then pour 50ml water into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden and tender. A knife should easily pierce the core when poked through. You can adjust the cooking time if you'd like a softer, or more crunch, cauliflower.
- Remove from the oven, and put the cauliflower on a chopping board to rest. Add the cauliflower leaves to the baking dish, toss to coat in the harissa sauce and bake for 10 minutes, until wilted and tender.
- Serve the cauliflower head with the cauliflower leaves.
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a preheated oven at 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4.
Serve the leftovers with cooked quinoa, chopped lettuce and top with flaked almonds. You can also blend the cauliflower into a spicy puree.