Swede and Herb Gnocchi
Fun to make, and packed with flavour, this homemade gnocchi recipe is one of our favourites.
- No swede? Try with celeriac, potatoes or parsnips instead.
- No egg? Follow the same recipe without adding the egg and add less pasta flour.
- No dill or parsley? Swap for basil, salad leaves or rocket .
- No butter? Use olive oil.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
240 g Swede
210 g Pasta flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 Egg (optional for vegan)
15 g Parsley (chopped )
10 g Dill (chopped)
2 Garlic cloves (peeled and lightly crushed )
1 tbsp Unsalted butter / Vegan butter
10 Cherry tomatoes (optional )
1 tsp Lemon juice
Salt & pepper
- Dice the swede and put it in a saucepan. Cover with water, add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil for 30 mins. You'll need to mash the swede so make sure it's very tender. Drain and use a fork or potato ricer to mash the swede.
- Put the mashed swede in a large mixing bowl with the pasta flour, egg and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped parsley and dill.
- Use a fork to mix all the ingredients together until it looks like a crumble.
- Use your clean hand and mix to a soft dough. A minute should be enough. Be careful not to over-mix it – the more you work it, the wetter it'll get, and you'll need to add more flour.
- Dust your work surface and put the dough on top. Cut the dough into four pieces, then roll each of them into a rope about 2cm thick, and cut into bite size pieces.
- Place them on a tray and set aside to dry for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter to a large frying pan. Add the cherry tomatoes and whole cloves of garlic. Top tip: Lightly crushing the garlic cloves will help to release their flavour.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook the gnocchi for about 3-4 minutes until they float to the top. Use a slotted spoon to lift the gnocchi out of the water and add them directly into the frying pan. You might need to work in batches.
- Toss well to coat into the butter, add a little lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How to store
Store in the fridge uncooked or cooked for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month. The gnocchi can be frozen uncooked or cooked, too. If you freeze them uncooked, defrost and cook in boiling water until they float at the surface.
Leftover gnocchi can be served in tomato sauce with basil, or deep fry for crispy gnocchi snack.