Stuffed Cabbage Parcels
Cabbage leaves stuffed with chopped cabbage, lentils, fresh herbs and spices then baked in a passata style tomato sauce.
- No white cabbage? Use any cabbage you have: red cabbage, savoy cabbage..
- No carrots? Use parsnips or jerusalem artichokes instead.
- No lentils? Try with rice or beans instead.
- No cumin seeds? Use fennel seeds instead.
- No turmeric? Add ground coriander or ground cumin instead.
- No passata? Pour a can of chopped tomatoes into a food processor and blend until smooth.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 Cabbage (any)
1 Onion (chopped )
1 Carrot (cubed)
1 can lentils (drained and rinsed )
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Ground turmeric
Salt & pepper
For the tomato sauce:
500 g Tomato passata
2 Garlic cloves (chopped )
1 tbsp Dried thyme
30 g Parsley
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark. Gently remove the outer cabbage leaves trying to keep them whole, and roughly chop half of the cabbage center - reserve the other half for another recipe.
- Blanch the outer cabbage leaves in boiling salted water until tender, for 4-5 minutes, then drain and lay out on a chopping board.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chopped onion, cumin seeds, turmeric and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage, cubed carrot and lentils. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. If the mixture is too dry add a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, pour the passata in a baking dish and season with dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the lentil mixture into the centre of each cabbage leaf.
- Roll up and place, seam-side down, in the baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes. Serve with fresh parsley on top.
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the preheated oven at 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark for 10 minutes.
Serve the leftovers with a side of potato salad or warm crusty bread.