Stuffed Aubergine Boats
- No onion? Try with red onion or shallot instead.
- No basil? Use any fresh herb you have on hand.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
1 Onion (chopped)
3 Garlic clove
a bunch of Basil leaves (chopped)
150 g Feta / Vegan feta
Salt & pepper
- Roast the aubergine: Preheat the oven to 190 C/170 fan/5 gas mark. Cut aubergines in half lengthwise. Score the flesh with a knife.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Make the stuffing: In the meantime, heat up a frying pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic, for 10 minutes, until tender. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Stuff the aubergines: Preheat the oven to 200 C/180 fan/6 gas mark. Spoon out the aubergine flesh so that you have shells. Roughly chop the flesh and mix with the onion mixture, chopped basil and crumbled feta.
- Spoon the aubergine mixture back into the aubergine shells, and roast for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Finish on grill mode for a few minutes if needed.
How to store
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place them in the oven at 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark for 10-15 minutes, until warm.
Make an aubergine dip: add the leftovers into a food processor along with a little tahini and lemon juice, and blend until smooth. Serve with toasted bread.