Sticky Toffee And Pomegranate Pudding
Try this fluffy and moist cake made from dates, pomegranate seeds, butter, sugar, eggs, flour, and served with a caramel buttery top.
- No golden syrup? Try with treacle instead.
- No self raising flour? Use plain flour and add 1 tsp of baking powder to the recipe.
- No golden caster sugar? Try with dark moscato sugar instead.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
190 g Pomegranate seed
190 g Deseeded date
190 ml Water
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
For the batter:
60 g Butter / Vegan butter
2 tbsp Golden syrup
40 g Light brown sugar
2 large Eggs
190 g Self raising flour
1 tsp Baking powder
For the sauce:
120 g Butter / Vegan butter
150 g Golden caster sugar
90 g Double cream / Vegan cream
- Prepare the baking dish: Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark. Grease a 23x23 cm square baking dish (use a little butter/vegan butter or vegetable oil) and dust with flour.
- Soak the dates: Roughly chop the dates, and boil 190 ml of water. Put the chopped dates, boiling water and bicarbonate soda into a bowl, stir and leave for 10 minutes.
- Make the batter: Cream the butter and golden syrup together in a stand mixer or with a whisk, until well mixed, then add the sugar and mix again. Beat in the eggs, then fold in the flour and baking powder until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Pour the dates and their liquid into the batter and mix gently, then fold in half of the pomegranate seeds.
- Bake the cake: Pour the batter into the prepared dish, and bake for 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Make the sauce: Pour all of the sauce ingredients together in a pan, and heat under medium heat until the butter has melted. Bring to boil for 4-5 minutes, until golden and creamy.
- When the cake is cooked, pour half of the sauce over for the cake to soak it up. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then pour the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds. Serve warm.
How to store
This cake should be eaten warm, but if needed store in an airtight container in a cool place, or in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Serve any leftovers with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.