Spring Greens Wonton Soup with Chilli Oil
Juicy wontons filled with ginger, ground tofu and spring greens, all served in a vegetable broth and topped with an easy peasy chilli sauce. The wontons are freezable, so this one's perfect for big-batch make-ahead meals.
- No spring greens? Use cabbage, spring onions, mushrooms or leeks.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
For the filling:
140 g Spring greens (chopped)
150 g Natural firm tofu (grated)
30 g Ginger (grated)
2 Garlic cloves (grated)
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Soy sauce
For the soup:
40 g Spring greens (cut in half)
500 ml Vegetable stock
For the wrappers:
125 g Plain flour
a pinch of Salt
80 ml Warm water
For the chilli oil:
1 tbsp Sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp Sesame oil
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Add the water to the flour and salt. Gently mix with a pair of chopsticks or a fork until there's no more loose flour. Knead with your hand to combine it all, then cover with a clean tea towel and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and sesame oil in a large pan. Add the spring greens, tofu, ginger, garlic and chilli flakes and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Add the soy sauce and cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Put the 500 ml vegetable stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then add the spring greens.
- Cut the dough into four and shape each one into a log. Cut each log into 5 pieces and roll them all into little balls. Roll out each piece into thin circles. If the dough's too sticky, sprinkle it with a little flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of filling to the middle of a dough circle, then fold half of it over the filling, using your fingers to seal the edges. Repeat with the remaining fillings and wrappers.
- In a small bowl, mix the sweet chilli oil, sesame oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add the wontons to the hot soup and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until they float at the surface of the water.
- Divide the wontons between bowls, then ladle the soup over. Drizzle with chilli oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
How to store
Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze uncooked for up to 1 month.
Pan fry until crispy and serve with a spicy dipping sauce.