Spiced Corn On The Cob
Make the most of your rescued corn with this recipe showcasing tender corn on the cobs with a spicy and herby butter that melts on the top.
- No harissa? Use any spicy chutney or dip you may have. Alternatively flavour your butter with finely chopped garlic.
- No lime? Try it with lemon.
- No parsley? Use another fresh herb. Coriander and chives are good options.
- No parmesan? Try with grated cheddar cheese. You can also do the recipe without cheese.
- Vegan? Use vegan butter and vegan parmesan instead.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
2 corn on the cob
50 g Butter / Vegan butter
1 tbsp Harissa paste
¼ a bunch of Parsley
2 tbsp Parmesan (grated) / vegan parmesan
- Make the spicy butter: In a bowl, combine the softened butter, harissa, parsley, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Mix well, place in a small ramekin and put in the fridge.
- Cook the cobs: Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook the peeled cobs for 5 minutes, until coloured and lightly charred all over. Compost the peels. Add 4 tbsp of water to the pan, turn down the heat to low-medium and continue to cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the corn is cooked through.
- Serve: Remove the cobs from the pan, place on your plate and cover with knobs of the spicy butter - which will melt on the hot cobs. Sprinkle over the grated parmesan and serve with wedges of lime.
How to store
How to store: Store your corn on the cobs in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days.
Leftovers: - Use a knife to cut the corn out of the cobs. Toss them into your salads, cold rice salad, or cold pasta salads. - Make sweetcorn fritters: In a bowl mix 300 g sweetcorn with 3 eggs, 30 ml milk of choice, 80 g flour and seasonings. Pan fry the fritters in a little oil and serve hot. - Make creamed corn: Cook together your sweetcorn along with 1 chopped small onion, a pinch of sugar, a little single cream/vegan cream and grated cheddar cheese/vegan cheese.