Spiced Aubergine & Pickled Onion Flatbreads
Piled up smoky grilled aubergines, pickled onion and crumbled feta on homemade flatbreads.
- No aubergine? Swap for courgette or mushrooms.
- No ground cumin? Use ground coriander instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For the aubergine:
3 tbsp Olive oil
a pinch of Salt
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Garlic powder
For the onion:
1 Red onion
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the flatbread (makes 4):
100 g Self raising flour
½ tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Fine salt
100 g Natural Yoghurt
30 g Feta
4 tbsp Natural Yoghurt
- Peel and finely slice the red onion. Put it in a small bowl, pour over the red wine vinegar, toss to coat and set aside to pickle.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the yoghurt and bring the mix together with your hands. Knead the dough for a minute on a floured surface, then cut into four pieces. Roll each piece between your hands and roll into flatbreads.
- Place the flatbreads in a grill pan or frying pan, over a medium-high heat. Cook the until charred on both sides. Set aside.
- Once the flatbreads are cooked, place the grill pan back over a medium heat. Cut the aubergine into chunks and put it in the hot pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil and grill until the aubergine is tender and golden brown, then season with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder and olive oil. When the aubergine is cooked, pour the spiced oil all over it, toss to coat and turn off the heat.
- Divide the flatbreads onto plates and spoon the yoghurt on top. Scatter over the grilled aubergine pieces, pickled onion and crumbled feta and serve. Enjoy!
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.