Salt-baked Potatoes with Herby Creme Fraiche
- No potatoes? Use any root vegetables of your choice, such as beetroots, carrots, parsnips or celeriac.
- No egg whites? Use 3-4 tablespoons of aquafaba instead.
- No creme fraiche? Try with yoghurt or a vegan alternative.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 80 minutes
500 g Potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes )
260 g Plain flour
90 g Fine salt
2 Egg whites / Aquafaba
100 ml Cold water
For the dip:
200 g Creme fraiche / vegan creme fraiche
2 tbsp Lemon juice
10 g Parsley
10 g Mint
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the egg whites and cold water and mix with a fork to form a dough. Knead the dough in the bowl for a minute and form a smooth ball. Wrap in a clean tea towel and set aside for 5 minutes.
- To make the dip, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the dough in the same amount of potatoes. If you have 4 potatoes, cut the dough in 4. Flatten each dough and place a potato on top. Using your hands, wrap the dough around each potato and press the edges together to seal.
- Place the potatoes in a baking dish, and roast for 1 hour, until the dough is hard and golden, and the potatoes inside are tender.
- Slice open the salt crust to reveal tender cooked and perfectly seasoned potatoes. Serve the potatoes in the crust with the herby creme fraiche (don’t eat the crust - when you are done compost it).
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Mash into a puree or serve the leftovers stir fry or salad recipes.