Sage Brown Butter Carrot Tortellini
Tortellini tossed in a sage nutty brown butter/vegan butter with a creamy carrot sauce. The carrots add a vibrant layer of flavour and colour. This is a quick cooking dinner for any dietary needs because you can get the tortellini of your choice (gluten free, vegan, meaty, cheesy…). So comforting and quick!
- No carrots? Use butternut squash or pumpkin instead.
- No sage? Try with rosemary instead.
- No parmesan? Serve with pecorino cheese instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
250 g Tortellini
8 Sage leaves
2 tbsp Unsalted butter / Vegan butter
Salt & pepper
Parmesan / vegan parmesan
- Prepare your ingredients.
- Chop the carrots into 2 cm pieces and place in a saucepan along with the butter, chopped sage leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes, then cover with water. Cook until tender, for about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook according to package directions until al dente. Just before draining, reserve 100 ml of the pasta cooking water. Drain.
- Add the carrots to a food processor, along with a few tbsp of pasta cooking water. Blend until smooth, adding more water if needed. Add the tortellini to the carrot sauce and serve with parmesan.
How to store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Serve the leftovers with a side of lettuce seasoned with a light vinaigrette.