Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Harissa Oil
This dish looks impressive, but it's actually super simple. The cabbage is cut into wedges, seasoned and roasted until lightly charred, then served with a quick spicy oil and a vegan whipped butter bean base. This one's a must-try.
- No butter beans? Try with cannellini beans.
- No milk? Use a light stock or water instead.
- No harissa? Swap for a different chilli paste.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 Savoy cabbage
4 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Sea salt
a pinch of Black pepper
For the whipped beans:
1 Can butter beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp Lemon juice
4 tbsp Milk of choice
For the spicy oil:
1 tbsp Harissa pesto
a pinch of Chilli flakes
4 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 Garlic cloves (sliced )
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180c fan/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut the cabbage into wedges and lay on the baking tray
- Mix the olive oil, sea salt and black pepper in a small bowl, then pour the mixture over the cabbage wedges. Use clean hands to evenly coat the wedges with the oil. Roast for 20 minutes, until tender and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes – until the garlic just starts to turn golden. Turn off the heat, then add the harissa and sesame seeds. Mix to combine and set aside to cool.
- For the whipped beans, put all the ingredients in a food processor. Blend until creamy and smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, spread the whipped butter bean on plate, top with the roasted cabbage wedges and drizzle with spicy oil. Enjoy!
How to store
Leave the cabbage to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store the spicy oil in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.