Quick Spiced Orange Compote
The orange compote is warming and great spooned over porridge, pancakes or yoghurt. The compote can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for the week making it perfect for meal prepping.
- No oranges? Use blood oranges, grapefruit, satsumas, mandarins or clementines instead.
- No golden syrup? Try with maple syrup or honey instead.
- No cinnamon? Use vanilla instead.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
1 tbsp Golden syrup
a pinch of Ground cinnamon
- Segment the oranges: Zest the oranges over a bowl. Using a sharp knife, top and tail each orange. Place the orange cut side down on your chopping board and slice the skin away from the flesh and discard. Remove any remaining white pith. Cut between the membranes to segment the orange, retaining any juices. Don’t forget to squeeze the membrane over a bowl to get the remaining juice out. Add both segments and juice to the bowl with the orange zest.
- Make the compote: Put the 90 ml of water into a saucepan with the golden syrup and cinnamon. Place on a low heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thick and syrupy. Add in your orange segments, juice and zest to the pan and give it a stir. Place back on the heat for 1-2 minutes, until warmed through.
- Serve: Spoon warm or cold over porridge, yoghurt or pancakes.
How to store
Store in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.