Try these little herby potato cakes that are made from mashed potatoes shaped into small patties, and fried until golden brown. They are served warm with a simple shallot and red wine vinegar sauce. These are fun to make so get the kids involved in the kitchen, and cook a batch to freeze!
- No parsley? Use any fresh herbs you have on hand - dill and mint would be delicious!
- No egg? Vegans can substitute the egg for flaxseed.
- No lemon? Try with lime juice and zest instead.
- No shallot? Use a small onion instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
a bunch of Parsley (1/3)
1 tsp Mustard
Lemon (Juice and zest of ½ lemon )
3 tbsp Breadcrumbs
For the sauce:
1 Shallot (finely chopped)
6 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Olive oil
- Scrub clean the potatoes and rinse under cold water.
- Chop with the skin on, and place into a saucepan.
- Cover with water, add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash using a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, and spring onions. Mix well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shape into small patties - if too sticky, wet your fingers with water. Place patties on a plate, and freeze for 10 minutes. This will help the patties hold their shape better when cooking.
- Make the sauce: In the meantime, mix the red wine vinegar, olive oil and shallot into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a generous drizzle of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry the potato cakes on each side for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with the shallot sauce.
How to store
Store the potato cakes in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can freeze the potato cakes (uncooked or cooked) for up to 3 months.
Place leftover potato cakes on a large baking tray, sprinkle with cheese and bake at 180C/160 fan/4 gas mark, for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted over. Serve alongside a green salad. The potato cakes are also delicious served with a dollop of creme fraiche/vegan creme fraiche.