Pomegranate Filo Pie
Try this filo pastry tart filled with pomegranate, feta, spinach and potatoes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
300 g Potatoes
200 g Feta
100 g Spinach
3 tbsp Pine nuts
5 Filo pastry sheets
extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/170 fan/5 gas mark. Wash the potatoes under cold water. Keep the skin and cut the potatoes in small pieces. Place in a saucepan, cover with water and add salt. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, wash the pomegranate under cold water. Then slice the pomegranate in half horizontally. Place the pomegranate cut side down in your hand. Place a bowl under your hand with the pomegranate.
- Take a wooden spoon and tap firmly on the top surface of the pomegranate.
- If needed cut the pomegranate in quarters and follow the same process; hold the pomegranate cut side down, and tap with a wooden spoon to release the seeds.
- Place the mixed seeds into an oven tray, place in the hot oven to toast for 5 minutes. Roughly chop the spinach and crumble the feta.
- In a bowl, add the pomegranate seeds, potatoes, seeds, feta and spinach.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush the inside of a cake tin (I used a 20 cm cake tin) with olive oil. Line with the filo sheet, one at a time, brushing with just a little bit of olive oil between each sheet. Leave any excess pastry hanging over the edge.
- Spoon the pomegranate mixture into the tin.
- Fold the overhanging filo sheets up and over the top of the pie. Drizzle with a little olive oil and use your fingertips to gently spread the oil around.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm or cold.
How to store
You can freeze the pie uncooked. Place the raw pie in a reusable plastic bag and freeze. Defrost in the fridge then bake at 190 C/180 fan/6 gas mark, until golden brown, crispy and piping hot in the center.