Pear Crumble Bars
Part biscuit, part tart and part crumble, this fruity bar recipe will be a firm favourite! Best of it all? You can use any fruits you have on hand.
- No pears? Use any other fruits such as apples, plums, peaches, mangoes, strawberries or kiwis.
- No flaked almonds? Try with hazelnuts instead.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
For the base and crumble:
150 g Unsalted butter (melted )
100 g Light brown sugar
250 g Plain flour
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
a pinch of Ground nutmeg
a pinch of Salt
30 g Flaked almonds
For the filling:
200 g Pears (cored and diced)
150 g Blackberries
80 g Caster sugar
1 tbsp Corn flour
½ Lemon (zested and juiced )
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160c fan/4 gs mark. Grease and line a 20 cm square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the sugar into the melted butter and then add the plain flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix until combined. Reserve a third of the mixture and set aside in the fridge. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared dish. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden and just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients. Spoon over the baked base. Take the chilled dough out of the fridge and mix the flaked almonds through it. Scatter this over the fruit mixture in the tin. Return to the oven to bake for 40 minutes, or until the fruit has softened and the crumble is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
How to store
Store the fruit crumble bars in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.