Mexican Inspired Chopped Salad
A crunchy, colourful salad made from corn, red onion, tomato, cucumber, parsley and black beans, all dressed with a creamy and simple dressing made from fresh lime juice. A perfect picnic salad that can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in the fridge. Delicious served on its own or served with tortilla chips for extra crunch.
- No parsley? Use coriander instead.
- No lime juice? Try with lemon juice instead.
- No black beans? Use chickpeas or lentils instead.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minute
Total time: 20 minutes
1 Corn (off the cob)
1 Red onion (diced )
3 Tomatoes (chopped )
90 g Cucumbers (chopped )
6 tbsp Parsley (chopped )
400 g Black beans (drained and rinsed )
For the dressing:
3 tbsp Lime juice
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 Garlic clove (grated )
1 tsp Tabasco
2 tbsp Mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise )
6 tbsp Olive oil
Salt & pepper (to taste )
Corn tortilla chips (to taste )
- Prepare all of your ingredients.
- In a bowl, add all the dressing ingredients and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing into an upcycled medium size jar.
- Stack your ingredients starting with the red onion and following with the corn, black beans, tomatoes, cucumber and parsley.
- Press until airtight, close the jar and store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, or until ready to eat.
- When you are ready to eat; simply pour all the content of the jar into a large mixing bowl and toss all of the ingredients together until coated in the dressing.
- Divide into plates and serve with corn tortilla chips for extra crunch.
How to store
Store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Avocado dip: Mash a couple of avocados until smooth and mix in your leftovers for a chunky dip. Serve with corn tortilla chips.