Hasselback Jerusalem Artichokes with Salsa Verde
This hasselback Jerusalem artichokes recipe is easy, tasty and super vibrant with a green salsa verde sauce poured over the top. The acidity and freshness of the sauce works really well with the hearty Jerusalem artichokes – a must-try!
- No Jerusalem artichokes? Use baby potatoes or parsnips.
- No pink peppercorns? Swap for black peppercorns.
- No red wine vinegar? Use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- No capers? Use cornichons.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
10 Jerusalem artichokes
2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
a pinch of Pink peppercorns
2 tbsp Olive oil
For the salsa verde:
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
20 g Parsley
10 Mint leaves
2 tbsp Capers
1 Garlic clove
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Scrub clean the jerusalem artichokes to remove any dirt. Put them in a small saucepan and cover with water, then add the crushed garlic cloves, peppercorns and a pinch of sea salt. Boil for 10-12 minutes, until just tender. You don't want to overcook them as they'll be roasted in the oven – this step just makes them easier to cut and saves on some roasting time.
- While they're cooking, make the salsa verde. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until finely chopped, then season to with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180c fan/gas mark 6. Drain the Jerusalem artichokes and set aside for a few minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Then make hasselback cuts into each one (be careful not to cut the whole way through). Top tip: Lay wooden spoons either side of the Jersualem artichoke – this will stop the knife cutting too deep.
- Place on a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Roast for 20 minutes, or until golden and lightly crisp on the edges.
- Serve warm or cold with the salsa verde as a dip or drizzled over the top. Enjoy!
How to store
Allow the jerusalem artichokes to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.