Grated Carrot Salad
This quick and easy grated carrot salad is fresh, crisp, and makes a delicious side dish at picnics, BBQs, with sandwiches – whatever you like. The carrot salad will keep for a few days in the fridge, which makes it a great recipe for meal planning.
- No carrots? Use courgette or beetroot.
- No parsley? Try with coriander or chives. You could even use salad leaves or lettuce instead.
- No lemon juice? Use lime, apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- No Dijon mustard? Swap for whole grain mustard.
- No cumin? Try with ground coriander, a little turmeric, or make it without any spices.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
400 g Carrots
½ a bunch of Parsley
3 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp Ground cumin
Salt & pepper
- Wash the carrots under cold water, pat dry and grate with the skin on. Roughly chop the parsley, stems and all.
- Mix both together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cumin in a small bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the carrots and parsley and stir until combined and evenly coated. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve to allow the flavours to develop. Toss again before serving. Enjoy!
How to store
How to store: Store your carrot salad in the fridge for up to 3 days. Cover the bowl, and toss again before serving.
Leftovers: Make savoury carrot muffins with your leftovers. Squeeze the juice out and place 200g of the carrot salad in a bowl with 1 egg, 200g flour, 1 tsp of baking powder and a little milk. Mix until you have a thick batter, then spoon the mixture in a greased muffin tin and bake at 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes. Make a big mixed salad by adding any other veg leftovers to your carrot salad.