Grated Carrot Salad
This quick and easy grated carrot salad is fresh, crisp-tender, and makes a delicious side dish to offer at picnics, BBQs, in packed lunches, with sandwiches, and so on. The carrot salad will keep for a few days in the fridge, which makes it a great recipe for meal planning.
- No carrots? Use courgette or beetroot instead.
- No parsley? Try with coriander or chives. If you have mixed leaves or lettuce in your box, add them instead.
- No lemon juice? Use lime, apple cider vinegar instead or red wine vinegar.
- No Dijon mustard? Try with whole grain mustard.
- No cumin? Use ground coriander or a little turmeric instead. You can also do without spices.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
400 g Carrots
½ a bunch of Parsley
3 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp Ground cumin
Salt & pepper
- Wash the carrots under cold water, pat dry and grate with the skin on. Roughly chop the parsley and parsley stems.
- Place the grated carrots and chopped parsley in a large bowl and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cumin.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the carrots and stir until combined and evenly coated. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve and to allow the flavours to develop. Toss again before serving.
How to store
How to store: Store your carrot salad in the fridge for up to 3 days. Cover the bowl, and toss again before serving.
Leftovers: - Make savoury carrot muffins with your leftovers. Squeeze the juice out and place 200 g grated carrot salad in a bowl along with 1 egg, 200 g flour, 1 tsp of baking powder and a little milk. Mix until you have a thick batter. Spoon the mixture in a greased muffin tin and bake at 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark for 20-25 minutes. - Add any vegetable leftovers to your carrot salad to make a big mixed salad. Good examples are our marinated peppers, sliced cucumber carpaccio, asparagus fries, and potato salad; all these recipes are on the blog.