Make the most of your cucumber with this summery recipe. The cucumber is thinly sliced into a carpaccio and served with toasted pine nuts, creamy burrata and balsamic dressing.
- No cucumber? Try with tomatoes.
- No burrata? Use feta or goat cheese instead.
- No fennel? Leave it out.
- No pine nuts? Try with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or walnuts.
- Vegan? Use any creamy vegan cheese alternative.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
1 Burrata / Vegan cheese
2 tbsp Pine nuts
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to thinly slice the cucumber with the skin on and the fennel (if using). Lay them on a plate, along with the burrata.
- Mix the honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place the nuts in a dry frying pan (no oil) over medium heat. Heat, shaking the pan and stirring often with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat when the pine nuts are fragrant and golden brown – this should take about 3 minutes.
- Tear the burrata and scatter it all over the cucumber and fennel slices. Drizzle with the balsamic dressing, then sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts. Add a few leaves of fresh basil and tuck in straight away.
How to store
Store your freshly cut cucumber in ice water in the fridge until ready to use. Store the dressing in the fridge for up to 7 days. Store your toasted pine nuts in an airtight container at room temperature.
Add any leftover carpaccio in a bowl along with mixed leaves or lettuce. Toss well to combine and eat.