Crispy Spring Onion Rolls with Sweet and Spicy Sauce
Crispy rice paper rolls filled with ginger, garlic and spring onion, deep fried until golden and crispy and served with a sweet and spicy chilli sauce.
- No spring onions? Try with leeks, cabbage or spring greens instead.
- No soy sauce? Use tamari.
- No honey? Swap for maple syrup.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
120 g Spring onions (chopped )
20 g Ginger (grated )
2 Garlic cloves (grated )
110 g Natural firm tofu (grated )
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Sesame oil
12 Rice papers
500 ml Vegetable oil
For the sauce:
2 tbsp Sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp Runny honey / Maple syrup
1 tbsp Soy sauce
- Chop the spring onions, and grate the ginger, tofu and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil and sesame oil in a large frying pan. Add the spring onions, ginger, garlic and tofu. Cook over medium heat until fragrant, for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put one rice paper in a large bowl filled with water and let it rest for about 10 seconds, or until the sheet is soft. Lay a clean, wet tea towel on your work surface, then carefully put the soft rice paper sheet on top. The tea towel will stop the rice paper from sticking to your work surface.
- Leaving about 2 cm of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with the spring onion mixture. Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is compactly enclosed. Fold over the short sides then roll it up. Put them on another clean, wet tea towel, top stop them sticking to a plate or board. Repeat with the remaining rice papers.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat. When hot, gently add a roll into the oil. Cook until crispy (they won't turn golden), making sure to flip the roll often (every minute or so). Remove and place onto a clean tea towel to absorb excess oil. Top tip: Don't get rid of the oil when you're done. Let it cool completely, strain it and pour it into a glass bottle to reuse for other recipes.
- Serve the warm crispy rolls with mint leaves and lettuce leaves and dip them in the sweet and spicy sauce. Enjoy!
How to store
Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Any leftover spring onion mixture can be frozen for up to 1 months.
Use leftover spring onion mixture in stir fry rice or dumpling recipes.