Crispy Aubergine Bites with Spicy Miso Sauce
A Japanese inspired dish with easy to find ingredients. The aubergine is cut into little nuggets, dredged in flour, eggs/plant based milk and panko breadcrumbs then fry until golden brown. They are served with a sweet and spicy miso sauce.
- No eggs? Use milk of choice instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
100 g Plain flour
1 tsp Fine salt
70 g Panko breadcrumbs
500 ml Vegetable oil
For the sauce:
1 tbsp Miso paste
2 tsp Mirin
1 tbsp Maple syrup
2 tsp Rice vinegar
1 tbsp sriracha
4 Spring onions (chopped )
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Pour the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Place the saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthwise and then into small chunks.
- In a bowl combine the flour and salt. Dredge the aubergine chunks into the flour, then into the egg wash and finally into the breadcrumb.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Deep fry the aubergine chunks into the hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve alongside the sauce. Top with the chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
How to store
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. To get them extra crispy again, reheat in the oven for 10 minutes.