Creamy Onion and Pecan Pasta Sauce
Pasta served with a creamy caramelised onion sauce, sage and crunchy pecans.
- No onions? Try with shallots instead.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
300 g Onion
9 Sage leaves
30 g Pecan nuts
200 g Short pasta
2 tbsp Unsalted butter / Vegan butter
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Prepare your ingredients. Finely slice the onions and cook the pasta in boiling salted water, until al dente. Reserve some of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan. Cook the onions, sage leaves and pecans for 15 minutes, or until soft and caramelised. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a few minutes.
- Tip the pasta into the onion mixture, add a splash of the pasta water, and toss well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide between plates and enjoy!
How to store
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Try pasta gratin with the leftovers! Add the pasta and onion sauce to a baking dish. Cover with grated cheese and bake until golden.