Cauliflower Gnocchi with Pistachio Pesto
A bowl of homemade softy, pillowy cauliflower gnocchi goodness topped with the more decadent pistachio pesto.
Vegan? Follow the same steps without the egg.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
350 g Cauliflower
200 g Pasta flour (type 00)
2 tbsp Olive oil
For the pistachio pesto:
80 g Shelled pistachios
1 tbsp Flaked almonds
4 tbsp Olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Trim the cauliflower leaves and cut the cauliflower into florets. Do not discard the leaves but instead cut them lengthwise into thinner pieces.
- Cook the cauliflower florets in salted boiling water for 6-8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and lay on a clean tea towel. Allow to cool for 10 minutes (in the meantime make the pesto).
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a clean upcycled glass jar.
- Now squeeze any excess water out of the cauliflower. And when you think you are done, squeeze some more!
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse blend until crumbles. Add 140 g of the pasta flour, egg and a generous pinch of salt. Pulse blend until a soft and sticky dough forms.
- Place the dough on a clean floured surface. If the dough is too wet add some of the leftover pasta flour and knead for a few seconds until incorporated. The dough should be soft but not sticky wet. Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each section into a rope and cut into gnocchi of the same size.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat. Pan fry the gnocchi until browned. Add the reserved cauliflower leaves and 100 ml of water to the pan. Cover the pan and let the gnocchi steam for 3-4 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of the pistachio pesto and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Toss well and serve.
How to store
Store in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.