Balsamic Onion Pizza
Make the most of your onions with this balsamic onion pizza recipe. The onions are cooked until tender, deglaze with an onion peel stock and balsamic vinegar. The pizza is also topped with goat cheese and rosemary - it’s crunchy, creamy, salty and sweet all at the same time.
- No onions? Try with shallots instead.
- No goat cheese? Use mozzarella/vegan mozzarella instead.
- More toppings? Try adding a few black olives, a pinch of chilli flakes, sliced mushrooms, basil leaves or spinach.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
For the pizza dough:
200 g Plain flour (type OO)
5 g Dried yeast (fast action)
½ tsp Fine salt
½ tsp Caster sugar
1 tbsp Olive oil
160 ml Water
For the pizza topping:
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Honey (or maple syrup)
70 g Goats cheese (chopped)
2 sprig Rosemary
1 Bay leaves
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Make the pizza dough: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Make a well in the centre, add the water, olive oil, and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Tip out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute, just until smooth. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let sit at room temperature while you prepare your pizza toppings (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Make the onion stock: Peel and thinly slice the onions. Place the onion peels in a saucepan, along with a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. Cover with water (about 150 ml), then bring to a boil and gently simmer for 10 minutes. The onion peels act just like a tea bag and will infuse in the water - which will be used in the next step.
- Make the onion topping: Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil (will prevent the butter from burning), along with the onions, 1 sprig of rosemary chopped, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the warm onion stock, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden, caramelised and the stock has reduced. Remove from the heat, and add the balsamic vinegar and honey/maple syrup.
- Roll the pizza dough: Preheat the oven to 220 C/200 fan/7 gas mark. Grease a large (or 2 medium) baking tray with olive oil. Turn the dough out onto the oiled tray, and using your fingers, push/roll the dough out until it is pretty thin.
- Add the toppings: Drizzle the pizza dough with a little olive oil. Add the balsamic onions, goat cheese, and some rosemary leaves. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
How to store
Store your pizza in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop it in the oven at 190 C/170 fan/5 gas mark, for 5-10 minutes.You can make the balsamic onions in advance, and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Make double quantities of the balsamic onions (and onion peel stock) and use it to make onion soup. Add the cooked onions, and onion peel stock to a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve with grilled cheese toasts.