Asparagus Fries with Harissa Mayonnaise
Dip whole asparagus spears in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, then roast until cooked through, golden and crisp. Serve with a creamy and spicy harissa mayonnaise.
- No asparagus? Make avocado fries instead. Slice a couple of avocados and follow the same steps.
- No plain flour? Any flour will work.
- No garlic powder? Try with onion powder, paprika or even grated parmesan.
- No white wine vinegar? Use apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice instead.
- No vegetable oil? Use olive oil.
- No harissa pesto? You can use normal harissa, or use any chilli sauce.
- No eggs? Combine 2 tbsp flax seeds and 6 tsp water. Set aside for 10 minutes, then use instead of the eggs.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
200 g Asparagus
70 g Plain flour
50 g Panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Harissa pesto
1 tsp Mustard
½ tsp White wine vinegar
6 tbsp Vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
- Separate 1 egg. Save the white for the asparagus, and add the yolk into a bowl with the mustard and white wine vinegar. Whisk to combine, then slowly add 3 tbsp vegetable oil. Whisk until light and creamy, then add the harissa pesto. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat oven to 220C/200 fan/ gas mark 7. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus (you can save them for making stock or soup). Put the flour a shallow dish, then crack the remaining 2 eggs into another dish with the egg white you saved earlier. Put the breadcrumbs and garlic powder in a third dish. Dip the asparagus in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, and put on a plate.
- Place the asparagus on a large oven tray in one layer, and drizzle with a little oil. Roast the asparagus for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown and crisp. Serve with the harissa mayonnaise for dipping.
How to store
The breadcrumbs asparagus can be prepared the day before, covered and kept in the fridge uncooked. When cooked, store your asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The mayonnaise will keep in the fridge for 3 days too.
The asparagus fries can be chopped up and tossed into a salad. They would also make a great addition to any buffet or cheese board. Use any leftover mayonnaise in slaw recipes as dressing, or to make stuffed eggs. For the stuffed eggs; shell hard boiled eggs, cut in half, and fill with a paste made from the egg yolks mixed with the harissa mayonnaise.