Apple Compote Turnovers
Apple and vanilla compote encased in puff pastry and baked until golden brown. These are hand-sized and can be frozen uncooked. Just pop them in the oven when ready to eat and you'll have warm turnovers for breakfast, dessert or as a tasty snack.
- No apples? Use pears, peaches or nectarines.
- No vanilla? Swap for ground cinnamon or ground ginger.
- No jam? Make a syrup from 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp caster sugar instead. Boil until the sugar has dissolved and until you have a thick syrup.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
1 Vanilla pod
2 tbsp Caster sugar
2 tbsp Water
1 ready rolled puff pastry / Vegan puff pastry
1 Egg / Plant based milk
1 tbsp Jam
- Roughly chop the apples. Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Put both in a pan with the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the has cooked down into a compote. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4. Unroll the puff pastry sheet onto a clean work surface and cut it into 3 large rounds and 4 smaller ones (use different sized bowls as templates).
- Divide the apple compote between the pastry circles, filling just one side and leaving a 1cm border from the edge. Brush the border with water and fold over the empty side of pastry over the filling and press to close together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tbsp water. Brush the pastry with the egg wash (or use plant-based milk instead), and use a knife to score lines all over.
- Transfer to the oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and puffed up.
- Heat the jam with 1 tbsp water to make a syrup, then brush it over the warm turnovers. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
How to store
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. To freeze, place the turnovers uncooked in the freezer, and store frozen for up to 1 month. When ready to eat, bake the turnovers at 180 C/160 fan/gas mark 4, until puffed up and golden.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. For the caramel sauce, combine 90g light soft brown sugar, 150ml double cream (or vegan double cream), 25 g butter (or vegan butter) and a small pinch of salt in a saucepan set over a low heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cook the sauce for 2-3 minutes until golden and syrupy. Turn off the heat, and leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.