5 delicious ways to enjoy your kiwis
Tips & recipe ideas courtesy of our guest ODDBOX chef Camille @callherchef
Did you know?
Kiwis are small, egg-sized fruits with fuzzy brown skin and bright green, juicy flesh. They are packed with Vitamin C, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Store them by…
Keep unripe kiwis at room temperature, although not exposed to any direct sunlight or significant temperature fluctuations. They will stay fresh for up to a week this way. If keeping them with other fruits, avoid layering too many on top of each other and always put your kiwis on top of any heavier items in your fruit bowl, to avoid bruising and squishing. Ripe kiwis will keep for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Kiwis don't freeze well, as they get mushy when defrosted. To preserve your kiwis try to make kiwi jam - the jam will keep for months.
Prepare them by:
Peel off the skin with a knife or vegetable peeler, then chop or slice. Alternatively, to eat it as a snack, cut in half and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon. The skin can be kept in recipes where the kiwis are cooked.
5 DELICIOUS RECIPE IDEAS
- SMOOTHIE: For a refreshing juice, tip your peeled kiwis, lime juice, coconut water into a blender and whizz until completely smooth. Pour into two glasses and serve. For a creamier version use peeled kiwis, oats, milk of choice and honey. Blend until smooth.
- JAM: Peel and coarsely chop the kiwis. Place in a bowl, add sugar and lemon juice. Mix well then place into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, and mash the kiwis with a potato masher or the back of a spoon until they reach the consistency you like.
- CAKE: Peel and slice the kiwis - compost the peels. Make a cake batter from flour, baking powder, honey, greek yoghurt and olive oil. Add half of the kiwi slices to the batter, mix to combine and pour into a greased cake tin. Decor with the rest of the kiwi slices. Bake at 180C, for about 30 minutes.
- PANCAKES: Cut the kiwis with their skin on in small cubes. Make a pancake batter from 150g self raising flour, 1tsp chia seeds, 1tsp baking powder, 190ml plant based milk, 20g porridge oats, 15ml olive oil and 1tbsp honey. Mix in the cubed kiwis. Het up 1 tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan. Spoon over the pancake batter and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all your pancakes are cooked.
- SALSA: Cut the kiwis into cubes. Chop a red onion. Add minced jalapeno, chopped coriander, and lime juice to a large mixing bowl along with the kiwifruit and red onion. Gently mix it together, and season to taste.