Chocolate & Orange Pavlovas
Sweet orange segments, warm melted dark chocolate and a light orange cream, these stunning Pavlovas are the perfect way to finish any dinner.
- No oranges? Use clementines, mandarins or satsuma instead.
- No vanilla paste? Try vanilla extract, almond extract, orange blossom water or rose water instead.
- Vegan? Use aquafaba water instead of the egg whites and a vegan double cream substitute.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 80 minutes
For the meringue:
170 g Egg whites (at room temperature)
250 g Caster sugar
2 tsp Cornflour
½ tsp Vanilla paste
For the chocolate sauce:
100 ml Double cream
70 g Dark chocolate
2 tsp Orange zest
For the orange cream:
200 ml Double cream
2 tbsp Orange juice
1 tsp Orange blossom water
- Preheat the oven to 140c/120c fan/275F/gas mark 1. Line two baking trays with baking paper or foil.
- Place the egg whites in a dry, clean, grease-free mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. This can take 5-6 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly, until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved. This can take 5-6 minutes. Add the cornflour and vanilla paste. Whisk until just combined.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into 6 circular mounds to create the meringue nests on the lined trays. Use the back of the spoon to make the nest shape.
- Bake for 50 minutes, then turn off the heat, open the oven door and let the meringue cool completely.
- In the meantime, make the chocolate sauce. Add the chocolate to a heatproof bowl. Add the double cream to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until completely melted. Set aside to cool.
- When the meringue is cool and you’re ready to serve, whip the cream on medium-high speed until medium peaks form, about 3–4 minutes. Overmixed whipped cream is curdled and grainy. Soft whipped cream has a billowy and smooth texture. Stand by your mixer so you know when it’s ready. If you accidentally over-whip the cream, pour in a little bit more cold double cream, and fold it in gently by hand with a spatula until it smooths out. Whisk in the orange juice and orange blossom water.
- Spoon the cream into the meringue nests, drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with fresh orange segments.
How to store
Store in an airtight jars in a cool and dry place, for up to 3 days.