Caramelised red onion marmalade
Customer recipe from S.H.
Will make 1-2 jars.
- 1.5 kilo (red) onions
- 25ml (olive) oil
- 200g brown sugar
- Sprig of thyme
- 250ml vinegar (red wine, sherry or berry vinegar, can be a mix)
- 250ml red wine
- 100ml red port
- Peel and half the onions and slice thinly. Put them into a heavy bottomed pan with the thyme and oil on medium heat and give a good stir for few minutes. Lower heat and cook - uncovered- gently over a very low heat for at least 2.5 hours but the longer the better. I always aim for 4 or even 5 hours! Stir every now and then. Volume will reduce a lot.
- Once the onions are dark and soft, remove sprig of thyme.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, wine and port and stir all through. Turn up the heat to a simmer and cook further for 30 minutes to an hour until the marmalade is sticky and dark and liquid has mostly reduced.
- The marmalade is ready when drawing your spoon accross the bottom of the pan clears a path that slowly fills with sticky juice.
- Transfer the marmalade into hot, sterilised jars and let it cool. Store in fridge up to 2 months.
Lovely with (goat) cheese or pate.