Miso Roasted Aubergines from Biffen's Kitchen Recipes
We know what you're all thinking. Although our wonky aubergines are cute enough to make the hardest of hard-man hearts start to squeal, some of you just can't get on board with eating them. It's the texture isn't it. We've been there.
BUT we can almost guarantee that if you're not going all AUB-T-T over aubergine yet, you will be once you know how to cook them the right way and this Miso Honey Roasted Aubergine recipe from Biffen's Kitchen is the one to do it!
George says: "The miso and honey make the aubergine deliciously sweet and sticky as well as full of umami flavour. Give yourself 30 minutes to marinade the aubergines for the maximum flavour before roasting."
As a veteran odd box champ, George has agreed to let us share 4 of his amazing veg-based recipes over the next month, so keep those eyes peeled.
For now, here's his Miso Roasted Aubs:
- 4 large [halved] Aubergine
- 4 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 tbsp Miso Paste
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 3 [sliced] Spring Onion
- 2 [finely sliced] Red Chilli
- 2 [zest and juice] Lime
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6. In a bowl, add the miso, lime juice and zest, honey, oil and 2 tbsp of boiling water and mix. This is your marinade.
2. Slice the aubergine in half lengthwise keeping the stalk on, then score the white flesh with a knife going down 3/4 of the way. Make quick diagonal cuts about an inch apart and do the same with the others.
3. Brush on the marinade and roast for 20 minutes. While it's cooking, chop the coriander, chilli and spring onion. Now would be the best time to cook your rice too.
4. Remove from the oven and add another layer of marinated and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Remove again adding the final load of the marinade and cook until sticky and dark (5-10 minutes).
Serve with fluffy white rice and chopped chilli, spring onion and coriander.
BIFF, BOSH, UMAMI NOSH!