Stuffed Butternut Squash (Vegan)
This recipe is brought to you courtesy of blogger @Elliesgoingvegan (Instagram)
Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 1 Large butternut squash cut in half
- Olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Bunch of kale, roughly chopped and hard stems removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup of quinoa cooked in vegetable broth
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of light tahini, thinned using some water (optional - add a squeeze of fresh lemon)
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 C, halve the butternut squash, drizzle with some olive oil and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes (or longer if the squash is large)
- Whilst the squash is cooking, heat some oil in a pan on a medium heat, once hot add the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, add the kale and wilt for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, season to taste and cook for a further minute. Add the chickpeas and quinoa and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, towards the end of cooking add the tahini mix and combine. Take off the heat, add most of the pomegranate and set aside.
- Once the squash is almost cooked take out of the oven, once cool enough to handle scrape out most of the flesh and add it to the quinoa mixture, combine well and stuff in to the squash halves.
- Bake on a lower heat (180 C) for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Optional - once cooked sprinkle with the leftover pomegranate for decoration
- Serve and enjoy!